Sunday 21 May 2017

Using Sketchbook Pro


At the start of the year, I started using Sketchbook pro, which I had not used before. Before starting I was using Clip Studio Paint and Adobe Photoshop. I immediately preferred the interface and it became my medium of choice when drawing and animating. However, it is clear from the images above, that I was not nearly as comfortable with the programme as I am now. The image on the left, was done around October/November time, but the image on the right was done about 1 hour ago. It is clear from this that the line work is a lot cleaner, and the general form has a lot more weight to it. It was also drawn using a Microsoft Surface Pro, which I bought at the start of the year, and I think this is also relatively clear from the drawing, as before it was very sketchy. I chose to keep the colour palette the same for the updated drawing, however as I have become more comfortable with the programme, my colour palette now is much brighter, and the colours are much bolder.

What I love about Sketchbook Pro

I love a lot about Sketchbook pro, I feel like it is just a simpler way of digitally drawing, it is as easy as drawing pencil on paper, , which is what I love about it.

Brushes -

The brushes on Sketchbook pro, in my opinion, are far superior to Photoshop's, and also Clip Studio's. There is such a wide range, and such customisation that it makes it easy to get my desired effect without mucking around making my own in a program like Photoshop.

Colour Palette -

I love the fact that the colour palette in Sketchbook Pro is the copic colour palette, as Copics are my medium of choice when I colour by hand.

What I dislike

Layers when animating -

When you go into the animation document on Sketchbook pro, you are very restricted with what you can do, because there is only 3, and one of them are set for the scene, and you cant change it, so it makes it very difficult to work around and make a good animation using it.

Resolution -

The only other problem with Sketchbook Pro I have, is whenever you make a new document, the default pixel per inch is only 100, which means the file is very pixelated and doesn't look as good as it could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment