Sunday 21 May 2017

Tokyo

I am probably only going to make 1 post on Tokyo, and give the short and sweet version, because otherwise I will end up writing 500 posts on every aspect I loved and what I thought of the wonderfully and wacky place of Shinjuku.






A highlight of photos I took from my week in Tokyo, I feel like these photos perfectly sum up my time there. I found myself in constant awe of the area and the customs, as well as being impressed by the food and culture in general. As a long time fan of Japanese cinema it was a truly humbling experience going to a place I have dreamed of going since I was about 4. Most importantly, the Studio Ghibli Museum and the Godzilla Hotel head, were my main highlights of the place.

The Studio Ghibli museum was inspirational, it felt like going into Willy Wonka's chocolate factory for animators, seeing all the concept art and reference images around the recreation of Miyazaki's study where he created so many wonderful ideas. It truly makes you appreciate the art of animation, and for me, I think really drove home why I want to be an animator so much. It also made me appreciate the thought that goes into everything in the movies which Ghibli produces.

The Godzilla hotel was something I had been looking forward to for years, as my entire motivation for going into film and animation, comes directly from watching Godzilla as a child and looking into Japanese cinema, it was an incredibly emotional and personal experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment