Monday 18 March 2019

Considering an MA?

Recently, I have been considering potentially taking on post graduate study after graduation, just as an extra push, to make me more hireable for an industry job, as I believe I still have a long way to go in my learning.

This is a new storyboarding masters course which I discovered through Tom Box on LinkedIn, it sounds like a great opportunity with a lot of chance for industry feedback. Here is a list of my pros and cons for post graduate storyboarding

Pros: 


  • Industry feedback
  • London based living 
  • Chance of an £8000 scholarship
  • Masters level degree 

Cons: 


  • Cost association that would come from London living
  • Little opportunity for part - time work as it would be a full time course 
  • Skills to start with are skills I already have, so it would be a lot of repetition

Ultimately I don't think I need a masters degree, not at this stage in my career. I personally feel as though the cons outweigh the pros in this situation. Industry feedback is something I can get through my own networking opportunities anyway, so I feel as though this would just be me trying to stay in the education safety net, as opposed to getting a job. Also, I do want to be down in London, but without the prospect of a job this would probably not be very realistic. Therefore I will focus more on gaining industry experience, and trying to do a level 7 apprenticeship down the line at a studio if they will let me, I was told by Kate Lander at my Brown Bag work experience that it was possible to do at Brown Bag if you are employed there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment