Saturday 10 November 2018

Aesthetica Film Festival - Brothers Macleod

On November 10th 2018, I attended Aesthetica Film Festival in York, to attend a talk by BAFTA winning film makers The Brothers Macleod. This talk was advertised as being how animation is carried out in a primarily digital world.



However this talk was more about the ideas process about story telling, and how the 2 come up with their ideas, and how they get them funded to get given the go ahead. Although this talk had nothing to do with storyboarding, my professional practice, I found this talk useful, as it was explained that both take on specific jobs in the industry as well as getting funding to work on their own films.

This was an attempt by me to find out more of a wider context of the industry of animation, as opposed to me searching for something specific. As this talk was in my home town, and the 2 usually produce 2D animated shorts, I thought it would be an interesting talk to attend, which it was. Everyone in attendance was given an exclusive print by them, as well as gaining a bit more knowledge on how they approach their story telling process.

This story telling process did end up being relevant to storyboarding, as storytelling is a lot of what makes it a professional practice. I found this part extremely useful, as they talked about it more from a creative stand point. Although their storytelling is not usually focused on character based narrative, it was interesting and they kept it entertaining the whole way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment